Big Bang Burger Bar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
19 September 2024, 18:58:39 *

Home   Help Latest Posts Calendar Links Login Register  
HHGG Quote:
You Pinstriped barbarians! I`ll sue the council for every penny it`s got! I`ll have you hung, drawn and quartered, and whipped and boiled, and then I`ll chop you up into little bits until . . . until . . . until you`ve had enough! - Arthur Dent
Linked Events
  • Continuum 2010: 02 July 2010 - 04 July 2010

• Signups have closed
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Continuum 2010  (Read 1802 times) Average Rating: 0
Zarniwoop
Sysop
Administrator
Deep One

BoardgameGeek: Oridyne

"One who cares is one who listens."

« on: 04 July 2009, 14:00:32 »

Details from their Website:

If you've never been to Continuum - or even a gaming convention - before, then this page is for you. Here you'll find some frequently asked questions, advice on con-going in general, and, more specifically, what Continuum can do to help you when you arrive.

The most important bit of advice we can give is: Don't Panic. Conventions can be overwhelming, and information can sometimes be hard to find. We hope Continuum doesn't overwhelm you at all, but if you find yourself floundering a little, remember that pretty much all the other attendees are Gamers, just like you, and, just like you, found themselves at a games convention for the first time once. If asked politely, they'll be happy to help or point you in the right direction.

Arriving at Continuum

When you arrive at Continuum, the first thing to do is register; you'll find the registration desk located at the main reception of John Foster Hall. Registration lets us know you're here, and you'll be allocated your room, room key, and any other information you need to pick-up (such as the convention guide book, which has lots of valuable information on the con, local facilities, and other, gamey-goodness).

Next, find your room (you'll be given plenty of help at the Registration desk) and dump your stuff, Locate the bathrooms (if in a standard room) and the communal kitchen. Freshen-up, if you need to, and take a few minutes to check through your registration documents and the Continuum programme.

When you're ready, come along to Continuum Control (CC). CC is located in the main building and will be clearly sign posted. Here you'll find sign-up details for the games that are running throughout the weekend. It's a good idea to sign-up early as places do fill-up very quickly, but take your time to look through all the games and check for any clashes with events - such as panels, seminars or freeforms - you want to attend. Some games may be run more than once, and most will have 'reserve' places in case of over-subscription. And don't forget that new games will be posted during the course of the con, so keep on eye on CC. Some of the most fun games are the ones you may not ordinarily consider, so be flexible and open-minded. The CC staff will be very happy to help you with finding a particular type of game. They'll also be able to help locate games that are geared specifically to new players - either those new to the system, the setting, the convention or roleplaying games in general. Never be afraid to ask for help or advice - this is what the committee is there for.

The Bar

After all that, you may feel like a drink. This is what the bar's for, and why it's close to CC. Buy a drink and take a look around at who else is there. It may seem daunting, but quite often it's very helpful to wander up and say 'Hi, I'm XXXX (insert your name here) and I'm pretty new to all of this....' Chances are you'll get chatting, get lots of advice, and may even be invited to join-in with a particular game. Continuum's always welcomed this kind of honesty, and I can speak from experience that it works!

The Opening Ceremony

The Opening Ceremony marks the official start of Continuum. The committee will introduce itself, the Guests of Honour, and the 'Friends of Continuum'. We'll also point-out the Continuum Mentors - people who've volunteered to help new delegates throughout the weekend - either to find games, meet people, or generally just get to know the convention. The Opening Ceremony also provides more information on various housekeeping items that it's always worth being aware of. After that, Continuum begins and the fun starts in earnest.

The Ice Breaker

Following-on from the Opening Ceremony is an event we call The Ice Breaker. This is a fun, usually very silly, themed event that aims to get people mingling, talking, drinking, and having fun. The Guests of Honour are called upon to lead the delegates in this silliness and its a great way to meet the people who've had a hand in creating the games you've come to play. Of course, it's up to you if you want to join-in The Ice Breaker, but its another great way of getting into the swing of things and meeting more new people.

And then....

Continuum is yours to enjoy, and we really hope you will. Remember to visit CC from time to time if you're not sure what to do or what events/games/panels might appeal to you. Or find one of the Continuum Mentors (they'll be clearly marked!) or a passing committee member (ditto - and they always look knackered, but don't let that put you off). Above all, involve yourself in as much as you can, but at a pace that suits you. Continuum rewards such efforts, but never be afraid to wander up and introduce yourself, or ask if you can join-in with something.

And After....

The Closing Ceremony, held on Sunday evening, is where we formally bring the con to a close, thank everyone who's made the weekend so enjoyable, and hand-out prizes and goodies as a Thank You. But Continuum doesn't finish there: there'll be activities that go on well after the closing ceremony, so there'll be plenty to do even after the Thank Yous have been said.

We hope you make lots of new friends. Many of the regular delegates have made friends for life via Continuum and other conventions. At CC you'll find the Continuum Contacts Board, where other delegates are encouraged to post their contact details, and information relating to games they run, or want to run, or want to join, after Continuum's finished. Take a look: you may find someone or a group that's not far from where you live, and this may lead to new friendships and gaming experiences.

Regards,
Zarniwoop

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: